Start Date: August 2018
Reports To: Middle School Head
LEAD students by embracing the independent school model of mentoring, advising and supporting the whole student.
DESIGN an innovative Spanish curricula that will connect the Spanish program to other grades and disciplines.
ENGAGE students with a combination of educational best practices -- cooperative learning, technology,, activities, and projects -- while also offering positive reinforcement and support.
CONNECT with students, families, and faculty both inside and outside the classroom to foster the strength of the Shorecrest community.
EDUCATE not only students but also colleagues through professional development opportunities.
COLLABORATE with a cohesive grade level team to create a cross curricular program that challenges and supports students.
GUIDE an advisory of students through the challenges of modern adolescence.
PARTNER with established community or educational organizations while building new connections in and beyond the local community.
INNOVATE your teaching by evaluating content, materials, as well as instruction methods to remain an outstanding educator.
INSPIRE the school community to grow and Be More.
- Prepare course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts for 5 class sections
- Maintain student attendance records, grades, and other required records
- Evaluate and grades students' class work, assignments, and papers
- Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, and course materials and methods of instruction
- Use effective class management techniques to ensure effective learning
- Act as an academic advisor to 10-12 8th grade students a school year.
- Develop and implement a professional growth plan
- Lead professional development and parent workshops
- Attend professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops in order to maintain and improve professional competence
- Contribute to the school community (examples are after school clubs, volunteer for Shorecrest sponsored events, coaching)
- Collaborate with other Faculty and Staff
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Middle School Head
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Spanish (or related fields) or Spanish Education or post graduate work in subject matter required
- 3-5 years of Middle School teaching experience preferred
- Commitment to supporting the school’s strategic initiatives, including a commitment to inclusion and issues of social justice and equity
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Passion for working with pre-teens and early teenage groups with patience and understanding for the age group
- Positive, high energy and demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment
- Warm, friendly, outgoing and committed to excellence
- Proficient with using technology particularly iPad devices for instruction as well as student use
- Able to utilize inquiry-based teaching methods
- Experience with teaching teams, project work, and proven teacher/leader who can participate in developing grade level projects and service learning opportunities
- Collaborative, able to work and communicate well with students, parents, and colleagues
- Highly organized and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Possesses enthusiasm for embracing the independent school model of mentoring and advising
- Work in an active environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts
- May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 20 lbs
- Work primarily in a traditional climate controlled classroom environment
- Work intermittently in outside weather conditions, including heat and cold
Founded in 1923, Shorecrest is one of the oldest independent schools in Florida serving approximately 950 students from PK to Grade 12. Last year, more than 60% of its graduates matriculated to universities outside the state of Florida. The Middle School (grades 5-8) offers students multiple opportunities to engage with each other and the greater community through project based learning, a robust advisory program, and extensive art and athletic offerings.
St. Petersburg is a vibrant and growing city, named as one of the world’s most attractive small cities for art. It has a lively downtown, abuzz with outdoor concerts and markets, and it is within minutes of some of the most beautiful beaches in the country. POLICY OF NON-DISCRIMINATION
Shorecrest Preparatory School welcomes candidates for admission or employment, regardless of age, race, culture, gender, sexual orientation, religion, socio-economic status, national or ethnic origin, and does not discriminate on the basis of any category protected by law in the administration of any of its programs.
Shorecrest is a designated drug-free workplace.
Shorecrest participates in E-Verify.
Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume and a list of at least three references to Jonathan Davis, Middle School Head, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Spanish Teacher” in the subject line.