We strongly believe that being a student at Shorecrest means being an active, direct participant in the life of our school community — its classrooms, online learning communities, athletics, arts, and service programs. The following guidelines apply to Shorecrest students taking courses online:
- The Director of Online Learning and the Upper School Administration must approve all online coursework in advance.
- Shorecrest students who wish to take online classes must illustrate an academic history of independence, good communication, and time-management skills.
- Students must have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA to enroll in an online class. Students with a GPA below 3.0 may petition to take an online class with the support of a current teacher in the subject area and their advisor.
- Only courses not currently offered in the Upper School curriculum may be considered for approval, unless approved by the Upper School Administration for students pursuing a talent that requires time flexibility or travel, medical situations, family emergencies, etc.
- Shorecrest is a member of One Schoolhouse (OSH). OSH courses will appear on Shorecrest transcripts. OSH courses are selected through the Upper Division course selection process every spring.
- Besides OSH, online course providers must be accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency such as SACS or SAIS and have the approval of the Director of Online Learning.
- Students entering Upper School (ninth grade or transfer student) should spend their first full year on campus in traditional classes in order to learn and understand the culture, expectations, and standards at Shorecrest.
- Shorecrest retains the right to require that online course assessments be administered and proctored on campus.
- The grade earned for an online course (excluding OSH courses and online courses offered by Shorecrest teachers) will not be included in the Shorecrest GPA. Other transcripts for online work will be attached to the Shorecrest transcript.
- No more than ten credits of online coursework may be earned toward graduation.
- No more than four credits may be earned in online summer course work for failed coursework at Shorecrest.
One Schoolhouse (OSH) meets the academic rigor expected by Shorecrest students, parents/guardians, and faculty in the Upper School. We selected OSH because we believe in their mission. OSH brings together independent school teachers and independent school students to create a truly global classroom. Only sophomores, juniors, and seniors will be eligible to apply to take online courses. One Schoolhouse Course Catalog:
Pricing for One Schoolhouse:
Semester Course - Discounted Consortium School Price: $935
Full-Year Course - Discounted Consortium School Price: $1555
Florida Virtual School
FLVS Course Catalog:
If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact Chris Powers, Director of Online Learning, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 727-346-1802.